Thursday, November 25, 2010

The Chin Grind

So I hit up Rabbit Hill last night with my friend JJ, in an attempt to learn some basic grinds and whatnot for the upcoming snowboard season. We went as early into the day as possible to avoid me making an ass of myself, but of course the hill got a LOT busier as the night went on, and I only got SLIGHTLY better and maneuvering the features in the park.

I did manage to slide a few pretty clean 50-50s though, which I'm pretty excited about. However, on my first attempt at a backside boardslide I managed to lose control of my board and drop face first, well, chin first right onto the rail. My initial thought was 'oh ****, I really hope I didn't break my jaw.' After discovering my jaw was fine, just VERY sore, we continued to ride for another hour or so. When we got back into the lodge and I took my mask off though, JJ's face wen't blank.

"Dude. You should really go to the hospital."

So it turns out the gash on my chin really wasn't as bad as it looked at first glance, and instead of heading to the hospital I headed to the bar instead. After a couple minutes of raiding the first aid kit, I was good as new (and the butterfly strips holding my face together were a GREAT conversation starter).

The photo below is what it looked like before my friend Sandy patched me up.

1 comment: